28 March 2013

entertain: Breakaway

Art Garfunkel's Breakaway was my "gateway" album. You know the one you heard and as soon as you did, it opened your world to how awesome music could be? One day, when I was 12 or so, I found an old dusty box of cassette tapes in the garage. Thankfully these musical treasures were discovered after I my NKOTB stage (we all had that right?!), and I was able to really appreciate them. There were some really awesome tapes in that box; The Beach Boys, Yes, The Doors, and Art Garfunkel's Breakaway. I listened to and LOVED all of them.  But there was one that I played over and over... Breakaway.



My Dad told me that he gave it to my Mom in college before he left to go to school in Paris, France. So she would listen to it and think of him. It made such and impact on my musical tastes. For many years after that I wouldn't listen to any album recorded after the 70's. I fell in love with Simon & Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, America, the Beatles, The Who and so so many more.

Anyway, I though I'd share because I heard a great cover of the Boxer by Mumford & Sons today




and I wondered if kids today are exploring this great era in music? Or are they going "old school" with stuff from the 90's? Hmm...

I'm really digging Munford & Sons right now. They have soul. Maybe I'll start sharing more music regularly here, since its such a part of my life. I shared this one last year, and it still makes me dance as soon as I hear it!

What do y'all think?

xo Lea Hart





No comments:

Post a Comment